Turkey Taco “Hamburger Helper”
October 4, 2011 § Leave a comment
Do you love hamburger helper? I never grew up eating it and actually don’t care much for it, but my husband LOVES it. LOVES.
This is a more homemade version that is so quick and easy to make. I found this recipe from All Day I Dream About Food and bookmarked it right away. I love it because you can change it up any way you like. Less salt, different pasta, more veggies, all veggies, etc.
Turkey Taco Pasta recipe (adapted from All Day I Dream About Food)
- olive oil
- 1 1/4 lb ground turkey
- 1 packet McCormick Taco seasoning
- 1 box whole wheat rotini
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 14 oz canned tomatoes, diced (low/no sodium)
- 15 oz canned black beans, drained (low/no sodium)
- 8 oz canned or frozen corn, drained (low/no sodium)
- 2 c chicken stock (low/no sodium)
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1 c cheddar and monterey jack cheese, shredded (and extra for topping)
- 1 wedge laughing cow swiss cheese
- sliced/chopped avocado for topping
Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pan or pot.
Cook onions until tender.
Add turkey, cook until almost done and then add the seasoning.
Add the pasta, beans, corn, tomatoes, water, and chicken stock. Stir to distribute ingredients evenly.
Bring to a boil and then cook it on medium for about 15 mins or until pasta is done. (stirring occasionally)
Stir in the cheeses.
To serve, top it with some shredded cheese and avocado. Yum!
Next time I make this I would change a few things.
- I really wanted to stir in some cream cheese for the tang, but the only thing I had was laughing cow cheese.
- Add some diced bell peppers.
- Make my own taco seasoning blend.
- More fun toppings like green onions, fresh tomatoes, etc.