Soft & Chewy “Leftovers” Oatmeal Bars
May 25, 2011 § Leave a comment
I bought a box of flavored oatmeal at the market when I couldn’t find the plain ones awhile back and tried one packet. Didn’t like it, so now I had all these packets of super sweet oatmeal. Instead of throwing them in the trash…turn them into oatmeal bars! This was also a great way to use up all the half and quarter bags of dried fruit I had.
The recipe below could be used with any flavor oatmeal and fruit/nut add-ins. If you wanted to make it from plain oatmeal, just add about 1/2 c sugar and 1/2 tsp of salt. The flavored ones come sweetened with a little salt anyway, so I didn’t need it for these bars.
- 1 c butter
- 1 c brown sugar (I used dark brown because it’s what I had on hand)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 oatmeal packets (or 3 cups of oatmeal…and since I used a flavor oatmeal, it already has enough salt in it so none for this recipe)
- 1 c dried cranberries
- 1/4 c dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour and baking soda.
- Stir in the oatmeal and dried fruits. (Any leftover fruits, nuts, chocolates, etc. can be added.)
- Pour and spread into a 9×13 pan. (I lined mine with parchment paper so I could remove and cut the bars easily).
- Bake for 30 mins and let it cool before cutting.