May 25, 2011 § Leave a comment
I bought a box of flavored oatmeal at the market when I couldn’t find the plain ones awhile back and tried one packet. Didn’t like it, so now I had all these packets of super sweet oatmeal. Instead of throwing them in the trash…turn them into oatmeal bars! This was also a great way to use up all the half and quarter bags of dried fruit I had.
The recipe below could be used with any flavor oatmeal and fruit/nut add-ins. If you wanted to make it from plain oatmeal, just add about 1/2 c sugar and 1/2 tsp of salt. The flavored ones come sweetened with a little salt anyway, so I didn’t need it for these bars.
- 1 c butter
- 1 c brown sugar (I used dark brown because it’s what I had on hand)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 oatmeal packets (or 3 cups of oatmeal…and since I used a flavor oatmeal, it already has enough salt in it so none for this recipe)
- 1 c dried cranberries
- 1/4 c dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour and baking soda.
- Stir in the oatmeal and dried fruits. (Any leftover fruits, nuts, chocolates, etc. can be added.)
- Pour and spread into a 9×13 pan. (I lined mine with parchment paper so I could remove and cut the bars easily).
- Bake for 30 mins and let it cool before cutting.
May 5, 2011 § Leave a comment
What’s better than lemonade in hot weather?? Lime cupcakes of course.
Okay, maybe lemonade to help with the heat is actually better. But it’s hard for me to pass up on cupcakes, especially with the flavor of a refreshing lime. This is my first time baking since Mason was born so I ended up overcooking my cupcakes a little. It was either letting him scream his lungs out or have nicely cooked cupcakes.
These cupcakes are light (even though I use butter…) and not too sweet. I’ll list the recipe below if any one wants to make them.
1 1/2 c flour
1 3/4 c vanilla sugar (or regular sugar)
1 1/4 sticks butter
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lime zest
3/4 stick butter
3 3/4 c powder sugar
3 tsp lime zest
2 tbsp lime juice
3 tbsp milk (varies, add a little at a time until your frosting becomes the right consistency)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat the butter, eggs, vanilla and zest. Sift the flour, sugar and salt. Beat the dry ingredients with the wet. Scoop into cupcake liners and bake for 25-30 mins.
Beat the butter, zest and juice first. Then beat in the powder sugar slowly at first so it doesn’t fly everywhere. Now you can add the milk a tablespoon at a time until the frosting gets fluffy and spreadable.
After cupcake cools, frost with buttercream frosting and enjoy!